Tuesday 12 October 2010

lets make a baby

4 days ago I officially began trying to become a father.

I'm writing this solely for myself, maybe with the thought in the back of my mind that my kids will read this one day and really get an insight into their dad before he was their dad, but from the point in his life where his kids, as yet unborn and unconceived, became his main focus.

Somehow I've ended up talking about my self in the third person.

I don't have much information about my folks before I was in the world, I don't know how many people generally look at their parents as having been just 'a couple' at one stage in their lives.  I've done the thing where I've seen a box of old photographs, as most people have done I imagine.  Mostly though, my mum and dad are just my mum and dad.  I've always had the feeling that I'd like my kids to know that mum and dad aren't just mum and dad, they are people too, people who had a life together before there were children.  For years now, when we are on holiday or just generally going around taking photo's i've had a little thing in the back back back of my mind when I'm taking the photograph of me and my wife, and the thought flits in to my head 'I cant wait for my kids to see this photograph one day.'

I want them to see that mum and dad were a loving couple once, (as I'm sure we still are_ in the future as I'm writing this I'm talking about) but well, not much of what I mean there is going to come from this blog. All of that stuff is going to come from OUR 'old photo box'  though I think our photo box is pretty big.  we've taken thousands of pictures over the years, mostly of holidays together (we LOVE to get around) so I'm sure theres enough to see us grow together PRE-CHILDREN over the last 8 years.  We've been together over 8 years now, married now almost 18 months.  This blog I guess, for me, is to acknowledge the end of the 'couple' period of our lives and to record our attempts to move on the next stage- starting our own family.

Now, I don't need to mention what that physically involves....  ok, I do- sex.  But this record isn't intended to be overly explicit, least not as I mentioned that in the back of my mind I'm aware /hoping (?) that my kids will read this one day. But I'm sure I'll end up talking about that stuff as not every entry here is going to be my meandering thoughts on fatherhood in general, but also the day to day thoughts and feeling I'm having as we're going through what we are going through- trying to make a baby.

I might talk more in another post about our lives pre-trying for a baby,  but that whole subject should be a blog of its own, or a diary I should have kept. But for now, I'm going to stick a pin in that and get onto what this blog is about:

LET'S MAKE A BABY!

No comments:

Post a Comment